Norwalk Officer Doug Metzger Refuses To Help Blind Man

Norwalk Officer Doug Metzger Refuses To Help Blind Man

Postby WaTcHeR » 23 Nov 2007, Fri 4:42 pm

Norwalk, Ia. -- A blind and disabled Norwalk man's trip outside to tie up his three dogs has touched off a controversy that has embroiled Norwalk's police department and City Council, as well as the Iowa Department of Human Services.

Bob Haskin, 64, was knocked unconscious on the afternoon of Nov. 3 when he fell in the doorway of his home and struck his head.

One of his dogs was already tied up, and another dog remained inside Haskin's home. But Riley, a black Labrador-golden retriever mix, escaped while Haskin was unconscious.

When he regained consciousness, Haskin noticed Riley was missing and began calling for her, despite spasms running down his back and pain in his head, arm and shoulders, he said in an interview.

"If I'd had the cordless phone, I would have dialed 911," Haskin said. "I was hurting and probably needed a rescue."

Instead, the telephone rang while he was yelling for Riley. It was Norwalk's police dispatch, calling to say that there was an officer at Haskin's house who wanted him to retrieve his stray dog.

Along with being blind, Haskin has an artificial right leg, and toes have been amputated from his left foot. He suffers from diabetes and has had 16 strokes, triple bypass surgery and a kidney transplant.

Haskin claims that Norwalk Police Officer Doug Metzger demanded that he retrieve his loose dog because it was charging.

While Haskin continued to hang onto the door and ask for help, Officer Metzger threatened to shoot his dog or use pepper spray on the animal.

The officer allegedly used pepper spray on the dog. Haskin eventually got the dog back inside his house, he told the Norwalk City Council last week.

Haskin went to the council to report what he claims was the police officer's refusal to help him.

"I said that I really need help," Haskin said. "He drove off."

But Haskin's dealings with Norwalk police did not end there.

Another officer reported the Norwalk man to the Iowa Department of Human Services for abuse of an adult - himself.

After the first officer left Haskin's home, Haskin left a message for Police Chief Ed Kuhl and asked him to have an officer other than Metzger return his call.

Another officer called Haskin that evening.

Haskin explained that he did not need an ambulance anymore. The officer informed Haskin that he had to turn him in to DHS for abuse. The next day, a social worker came by his house.

"(They) accused me of abusing me," Haskin said. "The girl from the DHS said it was unfounded. We're set up just fine."

Police officers have a responsibility to report the possibility of abuse, said Roger Munns, a spokesman for the DHS. People must be deemed as dependent adults in order to abuse or neglect themselves.

"When you're an adult, it's assumed you're capable of making decisions for yourself," Munns said. "People are allowed to make dumb decisions."

Haskin may have difficulties, but he does not qualify as a dependent adult, according to a DHS case worker's report received by Haskin.

The report said the allegation of abuse was unconfirmed.

"I can't think of an example of a person who's been found to have abused or neglected himself," Munns said.

Haskin told members of the Norwalk City Council that he wanted them to be aware of the incident so it would not happen again.

"I should never have been put in that situation at all," Haskin said. "I should have had rescue come assess me like they've done in the past."

Kuhl, the police chief, said Tuesday that he has completed his review of the incident and would make a report to Norwalk Mayor Pat Wahl by Monday on whether the proper procedures were followed by officers.

"It's the kind of thing that's a good thing to look at anyway to make sure things are being done properly," Kuhl said.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs. ... SPORTS0806
"Cops that lie, need to die!" A police officer that lies to get an arrest or send someone to prison should be shot.

"In the U.S., a cop with a gun can commit the most heinous crime and be given the benefit of the doubt."

"The U.S. Government does not have rights, it has privileges delegated to it by the people."
WaTcHeR

Postby WaTcHeR » 23 Nov 2007, Fri 4:57 pm

You always here cops say, oh you need the police to protect you. Bullshit! They can't protect you, nor do they want to. In this case a shit for brains cop named Doug Metzgert, who thought his job was to threaten a citizen by saying he was going to shoot the mans dog if man didn't do as the officer said. I like to see someone shoot officer Doug Metzger, most dogs are smarter then him. I hope this fucker didn't breed, if he has I feel sorry for those little bastards.

"Another officer reported the Norwalk man to the Iowa Department of Human Services for abuse of an adult - himself."

What this is, is a retaliation on a citizen who makes a complaint on a police officer. Understand that police officers are like wolves, if they don't run in a pack they're nothing but a lone pussy. They're the fucking rejects of society, the nobody who everyone made fun of or picked on in highschool. They can't think for themselves so they just follow orders, in return they are granted immunity from the government for killing your ass. Police officers stick together, if one is in trouble you will see the pack turn and help their jerk off fellow officer by using any means and this would include threats, lies, planting evidence, physical abuse or possible put your ass out in the woods in a shallow grave. Its sort of like a fuck you from the cops, a little payback to let you know what you did was wrong by complaining on how they do their job. Police in their mind think their shit don't stink and they are the best at their job and they never make mistakes specially when a blind man is begging for help.
"Cops that lie, need to die!" A police officer that lies to get an arrest or send someone to prison should be shot.

"In the U.S., a cop with a gun can commit the most heinous crime and be given the benefit of the doubt."

"The U.S. Government does not have rights, it has privileges delegated to it by the people."
WaTcHeR

Postby nauss » 13 Dec 2007, Thu 4:34 am

The United States Supreme Court has ruled (as well as numberous State Supreme Courts since the 1950's) that an individual is NOT guaranteed protection by police; however, society as a whole is guaranteed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales

Castle Rock v. Gonzales

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-278.pdf
nauss
Newly Registered User

Postby nauss » 13 Dec 2007, Thu 4:35 am

During divorce proceedings, Jessica Gonzales, a resident of Castle Rock, Colorado, obtained a restraining order against her husband on June 4, 1999, requiring him to remain at least 100 yards from her and their three daughters except during specified visitation time. On June 22, at approximately 5:15 pm, her husband took possession of the three children in violation of the order. Gonzales called the police at approximately 7:30 pm, 8:30 pm, 10:10 pm, and 12:15 am on June 23, and visited the police station in person at 12:40 am on June 23, 1999. However, the police took no action, despite the husband's having called Gonzales prior to her second call to the police and informing her that he had the children with him at an amusement park in Denver, Colorado. At approximately 3:20 am on June 23, 1999, the husband appeared at the Castle Rock police station and instigated a fatal shoot-out with the police. A search of his vehicle revealed the corpses of the three daughters, whom the husband had killed prior to his arrival.
nauss
Newly Registered User

Return to Stupid Ass Police Officers and Their Actions